2024/05/15

【English】Climbing as therapy

Stone Locals: Rediscovering the Soul of Climbing | Patagonia Films

Climbing as Therapy is what I want

This is a movie I recently watched. This sparked a desire to write about climbing on my blog. 

I met a lady in the Mitsuse countryside. I could not make myself understood, as a yoga teacher nor a climber, her view on me was totaly wrong. 

She runs a detox retreat for people with mental health issues and was looking for an assistant.

However, her perception of yoga teachers and the entire practice was skewed. The same went for climbing. It seems people in Kyushu often develop strong biases towards things that impress them, assuming others are doing them for attention.

This reflects on them, not me. I've never climbed or done yoga to impress others. For me, they are forms of dynamic meditation.

The movie beautifully portrayed how climbing can be a path to healing and therapy.



This guy lives in a crag Avalonia in France.

Taking Time to Heal

Even back when I was in Yamanshi, climbing was therapy to me. 

I was healing from my childhood.

Climbing puts you in a state of extreme concentration, a zone.


And when you make climbing the center of your life, you get your life in order.


You stop wasting money, you stop wasting food, and you get your body and mind in order.


The important thing is to live in harmony with Mother Nature, not to improve your climbing record nor grades.


Because when people try to improve their record to impress others, they turn to artificial means.


It takes an activity as intense as rock climbing for a hyperactive (high methylation) person like me, to get into the zone.

That was how I spend my 7 years in Yamanashi.

The second time healing myself with Mother Nature 

Now I need some time to heal myself, again. 

I had a series of leg injuries, first tore, next dislocation, and Achilles tendon rapture... so it was my time off, 3 years in climbing. I have lost all muscles I had developed and need to regain them now. I am getting rid of some weight I had put on.

This summer, I'm heading to Dainiti Hut, where I'll only work two days a week. This will allow me to spend the season in the mountains, training my legs by hiking.

Walking in nature is fantastic for mental health. It promotes self-healing. However, low-altitude hikes in summer are just hot and uncomfortable.  For a truly rewarding experience, opt for high-altitude hikes during the summer or walks near water.

Being a Female in climbing community is difficult 
 
In this movie, there were a several female climbers... a cruck roof climber was a Asian lady climber who were assaulted sexually... and I kinda know how she feels... I am not ready to reveal what had happened to me but I know what she had to gone through since I am going through the same now. 

I was almost killed in climbing. My partner was sooooooooooooo dumb, that he connected 25 m pitch and 35 m pitch in 50 m rope.  If I were a regular climber we were helicopter rescued and he was soooooo proud that he climbed this routes, and I had to realize how dumb he was.  

What a fool of me, giving my trust on such a guy.

Can't keep on climbing such dumb person if you think right. 

Depression and Nutrition deficiency

I had a severe depression attack and I needed Orthomolecular nutrition therapy, I was physically damaged so bad, not just my legs... my mind was also falling apart.  

Now, my legs are getting better thanks to the nutrition advices that doctors gave, and I am a qualified  Orthomolecular nutrition consultant now. 

Climbing community has issues...

1)Strong male dominancy and narcissism led to sexual assault of women

2) Access issues

3) Gym climber to crag has no proper education so there are very high rate of accidents

I now know every problems so well and mechanism how it happens. 

I encountered those, only hoping for a life with nature... my love to belonging to mother nature was been disgraced by those bad side of climbing community and it seem very strongly connected Male dominations particularly in Japan.